OTHER BUSINESS UNITS:
- Analytical Services
- Measurement Instruments
- Monitors & Servicing
- Product Assurance
- Process Diagnostics
- Radiation Protection
- Reservoir Technologies
- Subsea Technologies
Radiation Protection Advisory Services
Cumulatively, our team of fully qualified advisers has over 100 years’ experience. Therefore, it is uniquely placed to provide training and advice based on an extensive practical knowledge and understanding of the use ionising radiations utilised in the oil, gas and chemical industry.
The Radiation Protection Advisers have the complete suite of radiation protection products available to them, from radiochemical analysis, radiation monitors and a team of Radiation Protection Supervisors.
Our Radiation Protection experience includes the following:
- Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material (NORM)/ Low specific activity (LSA)
- Nucleonic instrumentation (gauging instruments)
- Radiography (non-destructive testing)
- Well logging operations
- Use of radioisotopes for process diagnostics
- Use of radioisotopes in laboratories
- X-ray equipment for security and analytical purposes
- Radioactive waste management including site surveys, decontamination and disposal options
Radiation Waste Advisor (RWA)
Sites, which are permitted or authorised to accumulate and dispose of radioactive waste, must appoint a Radioactive Waste Advisor. Tracerco’s team of Radiation Protection Advisers are all certified RWA’s.
This appointment is a requirement under European law.
Tracerco provides advice on a broad range of radioactive waste issues including but not limited to, the following:
- Permit applications
- Environmental impact assessments on behalf of the customer
- Disposal options
- Radioactive Waste Management Advice
Radiation Protection Advice
Tracerco provides advice on a broad range of radiation protection issues including but not limited to, the following:
- Compliance - Advice relating to National and International Legislation. Liaising with Regulators on behalf of customers
- Risk Assessment - Providing technical input into clients’ radiation risk assessments and identifying appropriate controls of radiation hazard
- Investigation and Reporting of Radiation Incidents - Performing independent of radiation incidents in accordance with legislative requirements and providing detailed reports addressing root cause and remedial actions. We are also able to respond outside of normal hours, providing advice and assistance in the event of an incident/ emergency
- Radiation and contamination Surveys - Carrying out radiation monitoring surveys to establish levels of contamination in plant and equipment as well as environmental monitoring
Radiation audits are carried out as part of the duties of the appointed Radiation Protection Adviser, to examine records, equipment and operating procedures.
The nature of the audits can cover the following areas of ionising radiations:
- Installed Nucleonic Instruments
- Naturally Occurring Radioactive Materials (NORM)
- Contractor’s sources (radiography)
- X ray equipment
- Laboratory X ray equipment
- Nickel-63 source installed in GC equipment
- Smoke Detectors
- Instrument Test Sources
The audit, including a site visit, will identify operations involving ionising radiations as detailed above. Site procedures/local rules, relevant to all operations involving ionising radiations, will be compared with the requirements of The Ionising Radiations Regulations 1999 (IRR99) and The Environmental Permitting Regulations including amendments (EPR’10).
The audit will cover but not limited to the following areas:
- Arrangements for the protection of personnel
- Site Permits
- The storage of radioactive material (where appropriate)
- The adequacy of training and competence of relevant staff
- The suitability and adequacy of written procedures / local rules and comparison of these documents with the requirement of all relevant legislation and codes of practice
- Emergency arrangements
For more information on our radiation protection advisory services please fill out an enquiry form detailing your requirements, and we will get back to you.